The Activity Monitoring feature of the platform provides a dashboard that describes all actions taken by users within the Organization. This includes both organization activities and catalog activities. Organization activities represent administrative actions specific to an organization, including but not limited to;
- Organization: created, updated, deleted
- Organization Member: added, updated, removed
- Organization Team: created, updated, deleted
- Organization Team Member: added, updated, removed
The catalog activities represent actions related to sources and the datasets created from those sources. These include but are not limited to;
- Source: created, updated, deleted
- Credential (permissions to access the source): created, updated, deleted
- All metadata actions including anything related to: Topics, Metadata Templates, Business Glossary
- Dataset: created, updated, deleted, destroyed, viewed, exported, connected, accessed etc.
- All comments and rating actions associated with a dataset
- All health monitoring rule changes
- All share activities
The Activity Dashboard can be accessed via the navigation pane on the left side of the window when logged into the platform. The default activity dashboard view includes the following settings;
- Activity Search criteria is blank meaning that all activities, both organization and catalog, are being shown.
- The timeline (top right of page) is set to view the past 7 days.
- Data access activity is set to OFF as data access activities are likely to be the most abundant and can drown other activities if set to on.
A user can adjust their filtered view of catalog activities by doing the following (screenshot included for reference with labels to connect to list below):
- Search: the search bar at the top of activity page allows users to select from a variety of parameters to filter the activity dashboard. This allows users to filter the dashboard to specific types of activities, the activity channel (App vs API), and the target of the activity such as a member, dataset, source, etc.
- Timeframe: the top right of the page provides options to select how far back in time to view activity (1 hr, 1 day, 7 days, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months). Users can also use the calendar to select a specific start and end date to view.
- Data access activity (OFF, ON): adds or removes data access logs from the dashboard view. Data access activities are exports of the data either to CSV using the application or via the Python, Ruby, and Curl APIs.
- Clicking links in the dashboard: the dashboard is fully interactive. A user can drill down by clicking any of the interactive links in the dashboard such as:
- User names in the dashboard: will filter the dashboard further to be specific to activities performed by that user
- Dataset names: filters the dashboard to only include activities related to the selected dataset
- Bars on the bar graph: drills down to the selected time
- Labels in the legend of the bar graph: filters the dashboard to only show activities related to the label selected (e.g. organization activities or catalog activities)
The activity dashboard is also accessible through the dataset UI after selecting a dataset from the catalog. The activity dashboard will contain information specific to the selected dataset when accessed in this way.